On September 9th, President Biden announced new nationwide vaccine mandates in an effort to curb the rise in COVID-related cases. These measures deal directly with the workforce, and are designed to encourage unvaccinated Americans to get the COVID-19 vaccine as quickly as possible.
This vaccine mandate has vast repercussions, affecting various sectors and millions of employees across the country. Chances are, your organization will be affected by the mandate and you’ll need to take steps to ensure you’re properly complying.
Vaccine Mandate Details
The Biden Administration vaccine mandate measures cover a number of sectors, and also include consequences for those why refuse to comply. Here are the basics of the mandate:
The Public Sector
- All four million federal employees and government contract workers are required to get vaccinated.
- Since the mandate was issued on September 9th, federal employees have about 75 days to get vaccinated
The Healthcare Sector
- The Department for Health and Human Services’ Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will be issuing a rule that requires vaccination for all healthcare workers working in facilities that receive Medicaid or Medicare funding.
- CMS is issuing an interim final rule in mid to late-October. When an interim final rule is issued, it becomes effective the moment it’s published.
The Private Sector
- In the private sector, OSHA will be issuing a rule that also requires companies with more than 100 employees to ensure their workers are vaccinated or receive weekly testing.
- Once the rule is issued, companies will likely have between 50 and 90 days to comply.
- The federal employee mandate recognizes limited exceptions for reasons like religious beliefs and disabilities. Certain groups who have a religious objection to the vaccine may be exempted.
- Those with certain allergies to ingredients in the vaccine also fall under the exceptions.
- If federal employees refuse to comply, the first step is counseling. If they continue to refuse, they could ultimately be terminated.
- It’s likely that the CMS will terminate agreements with healthcare facilities that do not comply with the measures.
- Private institutions that violate the regulations can be fined around $14,000 for each violation.
How to Manage Your Workforce
The vaccine mandates announcements still don’t have a ton of specifics, and no one knows exactly how the measures will be logistically implemented. But the federal government is urging businesses to begin the process ASAP.
As an organizational decision maker, you’ll deal with both the positive and negative effects of the mandate. On one hand, it’s helpful to have some guidance when it comes to executing plans to keep the workforce protected. On the other hand, it creates some uncertainty and compliance red tape that someone on your team now has to manage and track. That’s where Paypro comes in.
Extra reporting requires extra organization. Manage potential reporting logistics from organizations like the Department of Labor. It’s likely they’ll request some form of reporting in the future.
Efficient workforce management software to prepare for future audits on your organization’s program implementation and tracking procedures. When you have all the data organized in one place, you’ll always be prepared.
Employee management software allows you to create an employee database. This comes in handy when you’re tracking vaccination for your team. Keeping all the information in one place is crucial to optimal organization.
An easy-to-use app helps keep all the data and processes organized. The app allows you to streamline communication across the company, so everyone knows exactly what needs to be done and can stay updated when it comes to vaccination, testing, or general policies surrounding the mandate.
As employers, you understand that government regulation can create a need for more internal tracking and reporting. An easy to use WFM app also helps you track who is vaccinated or who is scheduled for weekly testing.
Stay updated on changing policies and make an action plan now. No matter how all the details unfold, Paypro’s workforce management software will help you manage the organizational process and will ensure you’re prepared as possible.
About The Author
Ingrid is the Content Marketing Manager at Paypro, managing both inbound and outbound marketing initiatives for the company. She has 15+ years’ of extensive marketing communications experience, leveraging brand awareness and strategic partnerships to increase sales revenue for a diverse group of B2B brands.